CANYON, Texas—The Student-Managed Investment Fund (SMIF) portfolio managers at West Texas A&M University presented their purchase decisions at the 2016 College of Business Student Symposium. The 12 stocks selected as buy opportunities are:
• Bemis Company (BMS);
• Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. (CMB);
• F5 Networks, Inc. (FFIV);
• Gilead Sciences, Inc. (GILD);
• Graphic Packaging Holding Co., (GPK);
• InterDigital (IDCC);
• MFA Financial (MFA);
• Parexel International Corp. (PRXL);
• Skechers (SKX);
• Spirit Airlines (SAVE);
• Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA); and
• WebMD Health Corporation (WBMD).
Owing to a combination of performance and donations, SMIF current market value is more than $1,020,000. During the prior year, the SMIF gained 1.3 percent more than the S&P 500 index. With a beta close to one, the SMIF performed slightly better than the market for the last five years. The fund is a blend with about 52 percent in growth and 48 percent in value. The majority is in large-cap stocks, with about 25 percent-30 percent in large-cap growth and another 25 percent-30 percent in large-cap value. The largest sector weights are information technology (19 percent), consumer discretionary (15 percent), financials (13 percent), and industrials (10 percent).
Through the Student-Managed Investment Fund, finance majors at WTAMU explore applied investing. Students manage a portfolio of funds and decide on stocks to purchase and sell with a goal of long-term growth. They learn investment fundamentals, valuation techniques and technical analysis. All finance majors explore one or more investment opportunities, which are forwarded to the student portfolio managers for consideration. Portfolio managers attempt to meet the dual objectives of increasing the long-run value of the portfolio combined with the short-run objective of providing student scholarships.
Since 2001, SMIF has awarded more than $160,000 in business student scholarships. The 2016 SMIF scholarship awards range from $1,000 to $5,000 per student for the following scholarship winners:
• Carlos Aguirre Collahuazo—M.B.A. with marketing concentration;
• Brittany Gehle—B.B.A. in marketing;
• Becca Gerlich—B.B.A. in marketing;
• Emily Gross—M.B.A. with computer information systems concentration;
• Alexandria Massie—B.B.A. in accounting;
• Ame van Mourik—B.B.A. in finance;
• Ethan Peterson—M.S. in finance and economics:
• Niall Pratt—B.B.A. in fnance; and
• Shawna Simmons—M.P.A.
The 2016 Student Porfolio Managers are listed by hometown or home country.
Maria Santander Bernal
Silver City, N.M.